Tuesday, March 9, 2010

S.H.A.D.O. Mystery Trail Ride

This past weekend Erik and I attended our first mystery trail ride with several friends.  For those of you who have never been to one, let me just say it was interesting.  The entire ride was only about 3 hours.  It started at the at Rodeheaver's Boys Ranch in Palatka.  Then, it weaved through parts of the Caravelle Ranch and Greenways trails. Finally, we wound up back at the Boys Ranch.

The trail had several obstacles along the way.  Each one had a fairy tale theme including Three Little Pigs, Old McDonald, and 5 Little Monkeys.

Here are a few obstacle pictures.

Mad Hatter Tea Party

Poca and Erik at the Three Little Pigs

Mike at Twinkle Twinkle Little Star

 
KD jumping on the bed

Traci at Baa-Baa Black Sheep

Marilyn and Bonnie taking it all in

After the ride, we had to get settled in.  There were no stalls available.  Our only options were to hightie or build a portable pen in BFE.

Busta in his corral before they made us move him.  (Isn't he handsome?)

Stylin on her hightie (she's so photogenic)

Chele and Dawn

Linc

Once the horses were situated and we got some grub in our guts, it was time to make camp.

Erik building us a fire

Hotel Chele

The facilities are located in our trailer

We shared some laughs and drinks around a blazing fire before retiring for the evening.  On Sunday, we woke up to frost everywhere (glad we blanketed the ponies).


We didn't let the cold stop us from saddling up and going on another adventure.  We headed back out the Greenway Trails towards the Rodman Dam. 

Erik being silly with the camera while he leads the way

Linc, I promise the rocks won't bite you

Approaching the dam from the right

Mike and Rusty stretch their legs while we walk to the other side

Erik and Poca wait patiently

The other side of the dam

This is a view from under a bridge we cross under twice (freaks me out)

I think our ride on Sunday was about 5 hours round trip.  Linc was a total idiot.  He spent at least half the ride doing his peed-off dance.  All I can do when he gets like that is laugh. Fortunately, the weather was perfect (both days) and the company was great.  That makes up for his temporary mental break down.

HERE are the rest of my pics.  There's some terrific shots (if I do say so myself).

HERE is a link to KD's pics.

FYI - We investigated the St. Johns trailhead and made a mental note that we'd like to return soon. They have installed some really nice poles for hightying.

5 comments:

KD said...

It was a lot of fun! We chose some of the same pics for our posts. :-)

Karen C. said...

Wow! I love the theme for the ride...very unique. Okay, unique for around here! I am so glad you are back to blogging! :-)
Karen and Tripp

Karen C. said...

Okay, I thought I commented once - and I probably did and it will show up twice. :-)
This ride looks like so much fun and it is unique! Okay, unique for around here! I am going to make a mental note to try to plan something like this. We have a small mustang group that is growing all the time!
I am so glad you are back to blogging!
Karen and Tripp

Karen C. said...

HA HA HA!!!! I just saw the note that said my comment had to be approved...now you will approve 3, or just keep the best one!
I am a dork sometimes!
Karen and Tripp who is embarrassed to know me sometimes!

Michelle said...

Karen, you crack me up! =)

The moderating is part of why I switched to blogspot. I was getting spam on my other site.

I wish I knew more mustang people around here. Seems like they are all in south FL.