Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Being mature and responsible stinks....

I have been saying for months that I need simplify.  I just don't have enough time or energy to keep up with everything.  Being a mom, a wife, and a teacher is hard enough.  Throw in 3 cats, 3 dogs, and 5 horses and there are just not enough hours in the day.

So after some soul searching and flip-flopping, I listed Faith for reassignment. I received several responses, but for the longest time no one felt right for my girl.  Until Elise and Terry...

Elise and Terry are a young couple who live about an hour from me.  Something about them made me relaxed and comfortable.  They have experience and other horses (mustang and QH).  They seem to understand Faith's needs and my concerns.  They realize that Faith's probably not going to come around in 30-days. She's a work in progress and will require a long term commitment.  She's a dominant horse, but she's not mean.  She wants to please, but her fear is still very real.  She requires a leader who is loving, firm, extra patient, and extremely consistent. 

I woke up early on Saturday to spend some quality time with Faith before delivering her.  When I opened the barn door, this is what I found.


She's gotten so nosey and in your face these days. That is how I know she's ready for her own person.


After some grooming and loving, it was time to load up and go. 

This is Terry.  Faith is the perfect size for him.

Heading out to the pasture.

Elise with Rosie and Chief

Checking things out.

Saying goodbye and trying to keep it together.

My beautiful girl

Thankfully, I had my pit crew to rely on.  Liz, Chele, Cory, and the boys started this unforgettable journey with me, and they were to finish it.



They tried hard to keep my spirits up.  However, we all lost it when it was time to go.  Faith was very interested in her new place, but when the trailer started to leave without her, she got concerned.  She followed us to the edge of the property.


Then, she stopped at the fence, looked at us, and hollered out one time.  That was when we all lost it, and the tears were flowing.


I have to say that giving Faith away was one of the most difficult things I've ever done.  In the past, I rehomed animals and was okay.  For one reason or another, I wanted to part with them.  With Faith, it was different.  I did not want to part with her, but I know in my heart it was the right thing to do.  She deserves more than I am able to give at this time.

Therefore, I just have to have........
  • Faith that I have chosen the right home
  • Faith in Elise and Terry
  • Faith they will be successful
  • Faith they will honor the contract we signed 
  • Faith they will give her back in the future if circumstances change
And most important....

Faith she will never forget me
 
HERE are the rest of the pictures from Saturday.

4 comments:

KD said...

Faith's journey was an adventure story with a bittersweet ending. Peace.......

Karen C. said...

Michelle, my heart is aching for you and tears are flowing like they have not flowed in a long time...yes, being mature does suck! I too will have Faith that everything will be okay. It sounds like you found the perfect home for her...Hugs to you! And hugs to you Elise and Terry for welcoming Faith into your family.
Karen and Tripp

Lea and her Mustangs said...

Oh Michelle, Your blog brought back memories of when I did the yearling Makeover with Sierra and let her be adopted. When the people put her in their trailer and pulled out she looked out the window and called to me. I sobbed and sobbed. But it was the best thing. They send me pictures every so often. It was a hard decision. I remember the song Sara McLachlan sings, I will remember you, will you remember me and I cry still. Itsd for me though not her. She is loved where she is.

Michelle said...

Thanks everyone. It amazes me how emotional I continue to be over this whole thing. I am usually very good at squashing my feelings but not this time. I even got choked up as wrote this, and I was trying to keep it short and sweet.

I am very grateful to Elise. She posts updates on Facebook all of the time. Makes my heart happy. =)