Sunday, June 26, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished...

That was the conversation Donald and I had first thing this morning after I noticed his finger bandaged up.  Apparently, he had jammed his finger while trying to help a friend with their horse.

Wouldn't you know, the same thought applied to me today?!?!?!

Chele, Julianne, Cory, Donald, and I met at Jennings for an early (sort of) morning ride.

I rode Linc.

View from the Dawn cam

Cory and Donald have a staring contest while Chele offers Dawn some water.

We had a nice ride - not too hot, no bugs, horses were well behaved.

As we were heading back towards the trail head, we came across a young couple walking.  They had been playing on the dirt roads and gotten their truck super STUCK.  They didn't have a phone or water, and they really had no idea where they were going.

We offered to help.  Julianne let the boy friend use her phone.  No one answered, so they decided to walk back with us since they seemed all turned around and confused.

This is where I went wrong.  I noticed the girl huffing and puffing as she walked.  I offered to let her get on Linc.  She had been telling me about her horse they used to have and her mom's horse.  Stupid me thought she could ride.

She's on Linc.  I am jumping on the back of Rocky with Cory.

Boy friend leading the way.

Things were going great for a while.  Linc was walking slow and taking care of his passenger.  Good ol' Rocky didn't seem to mind lugging both me and Cory.

Somehow, we got a little spread out.  Linc being Linc, started to trot to catch up.  All of a sudden, I heard the girl screaming bloody murder.  Linc got scared and started to canter.  The girl leaned forward and goosed him in the flanks.  He hunched up and off she went.  She never once picked up the reins or said "Whoa!"  Thankfully, we were on a soft, sandy road.  Julianne (the nurse) hopped off and checked her all out.  She was shaken up and sore, but for the most part she was fine. 

WTF!?!  I thought she could ride.  Now what???

Well, we got her up and brushed off.  Poor Linc looked like he lost his best friend.  You could just tell he wasn't trying to be bad.  He's become my Mr. Reliable.  I would pretty much put anyone on him these day.

Everyone agreed she needed to get back on.  We didn't want her to be scarred for life.

I decided to hand walk her all the way back.

It was hot, and I was tired.  BUT...  I made it all the way back on foot.  Thank God, Emery and I have been going to the gym.  Walking in 98 degree temps with jeans and boots ain't no joke!

Their family was at the trail head waiting for them.  They hopped in the truck and were on their way.  They didn't really say thanks, goodbye, go eff yourself, nothing...  Go figure!

Never again will I be so stupid.  That could have turned out VERY bad.  She could have gotten hurt and sued me for the little bit I have.  Thankfully, luck was on my side for a change.

Take it from me...  Let them walk!

3 comments:

KD said...

YOU know you did the right thing by helping out....they could have been lost for a long time. Glad y'all had a good ride otherwise. I bet they realized after they left that they should have said something.

Karen McLain said...

Let 'em walk.

Squishy said...

They could have been axe murderers!!!!!!!!!!!! You are way too nice!